Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Farm Markets, Field Days, Festivals and Frail Children

The back of our float and MOI!

Yes I gave myself a ribbon!
We DID win cash though!
Life on the farm continues, but as I sit here at 6am, awake since 5, unable to sleep, looking out through my kitchen window, watching the sun rise, reviewing the day ahead, I wonder about my ability to get through the next week. The last few days I have watched my husband feeling overwhelmed with what needs to get done by the weekend and guilty about his inability to keep up with other responsibilities like energy to stay in contact with the outside world and his children. I talk daily with my girls in BC, one who has been so sick I wondered if I would have to go out there and the other crying daily that she wants to come home. I have felt rundown all summer, lethargic and not doing nearly as much as I should and have upped my iron intake and booked a doctor's appointment to get an overall physical. I am sure everything is fine, I just start to move backwards sometimes when I get overwhelmed.

Last Friday we went to the farm market and it had to be one of my best days there ever. I had baked Nanaimo Bars and Unicorn Bars since they had been written up in the paper and of course multiple loaves of breads, buns, cheese filled cheese sticks and more and almost everything sold out. I had hoped to have a bit extra since that night I had to go to the community centre and donate items to the next days bake sale as well as bake a few pumpkin pies for the turkey dinner on the weekend. 

Having a great day at the market was good since I was low on funds and we needed dog food, chicken feed and goat "toe nail" clippers. OK not really toe nails but we have to clip the goats feet. Apparently the best way to do that is for Len and I to "wrassle" the goat down, I will sit on it (poor goat!) and hold 3 legs still while Len will clip the other foot. Of course this will take awhile since we have 2 goats for a total of 8 legs! Yes this should be interesting and no we won't get pictures since we will be otherwise engaged with all of our limbs at that point. 

We have decided that the billy goat WILL go once his little swimmers do their job and knock up our female. He just gets too wound up and aggressive and we don't want anyone to get hurt. We are glad the goats have stopped jumping out of the pasture, appears Pavlov was right, keep repeating the same action and eventually the appropriate response will follow. Goat jumps out, goat gets put in barn with door shut. They are ok with being in the barn when fed, but they really do prefer to be out roaming and playing in the pasture. (Luki has almost figured out that he is in charge too so that is positive!)

Whats a country parade
 without a redneck?
This past weekend was field days, originally a harvest celebration I suppose somewhat like the country fair but no animals or rides. Lots of honky tonk, old time country and blue grass music playing all afternoon under the big top. Over 700 people in and watching the little parade, bingo on the lawn, bake sale as mentioned, games for kids and adults - like the kettle boil. All the guys line up, and have to start a fire and whoever can get the kettle to boil first wins. Anyone can join in the parade and we all line up at the big old farm down the road and the fire department leads us down the lane. 
VERY weird watching
people in the East
 vote Bruins over Canucks!

On Friday night they had for the first time, a children's concert featuring the kids from Fun Park. It was very nice to have so many people ask about Jessica, "Where is your beautiful little girl? We love hearing her sing. We miss her. When is she coming home?" Jess has certainly made friends, youth and adult and she can't wait to come home.

This fellow was dressed in a barrel
and birch bark with commentary
to the premier on budget cuts.
(The premier DID laugh)
After WINNING the Best Commercial Entry for our little float and bribe of 500 cookies to the crowds we spent the afternoon listening to music and then joining friends for dinner and drinks. Later we all meandered down to the community centre for the annual dance and my man kicked up his heels. I guess he is not doing too bad for a man who is slightly past his prime but I can tell you, there was not a man young or old, on the floor who moved like him. He hopped, skipped, danced and twirled me until I was laughing like a girl and giggling at how cute he was. Neither of us have any formal dance training (which IS evident) but we both have love and enthusiasm that kept us going. We had a WONDERFUL time and met a lot of new great people.

Of course we promo'd the coffee shop and arts festival all day and throughout the parade so we are getting great PR. I couldn't keep up with the cookies and biscuits on Sunday as people popped in, just wanting to see what we were up to. We had a field day weekend to remember, thank you Fosterville!

On Monday we picked up 12 white leghorn layers from our friend Glenn and had to introduce them to our flock. On Tuesday Len came in at 10am happy that we had 5 eggs, by noon I found 6 more and by dinner he found another = 12 birds and 12 eggs, pretty good day!

Of course through all the fun and work I have literally been on the phone to my girls 3-6 times a day. About 2 weeks ago Rachel got very sick and we didn't know if it was Strep Throat or Mono - we prayed for Strep! Unfortunately it was mono. Luckily Grandma was able to get her, take her home and help her get better. I am worried she may relapse and the girls are due home 1 week today. Jess is begging not to have that changed while Rachel feels like she lost a week or two and should get to stay longer. I am basing my decision on her health. Is she well enough to travel? To guide herself and Jess through the airport? Not weak or unable to cope? So, Monday we will get the latest from the doctor and go from there.

Jessica has begged that we NEVER do this again. She has enjoyed the travels, visits, fun but misses us and home too much. I desperately miss them both too and at moments feel like I made the wrong decision in leaving them and at other moments know that it has been very good for them both in many ways. ....AH parenting, who knew it would be so challenging?

Well, farm markets, field days and frail children behind me, we are now onto the first arts festival at our place and are getting very good PR, great public response and at the MOMENT the weather is looking good! I have included the website for the event so readers can get an idea of what is happening. I have also included a poem I wrote one day as I sat sighing in my chair.

Well the sun is almost up, it is 6:30 am now and I think I might crawl back in the warm bed with my beloved for a half hour to warm up and cuddle before starting our day.... Have a good one, eh?

No comments: