Saturday, February 12, 2011

Today is the first day of the rest of my life!

Today is the first day of the rest of my life, well, until tomorrow anyway, then IT's the first day! I was reading an article earlier today regarding the state of our world, planet, etc. and how there was not much we could do anymore except to give up hope. It seemed like a rather bleak outlook to me, so I continued to read. I guess that was the hook, eh? The article went on to say how we could feel hopeless and cry but then suck it up and move on. Do what we can each day to make the world a better place. So, that is why I am here... To help make YOUR world a better place! (OK! I will stop being cheeky!)

I guess I could feel down because the snow drifts surrounding my house have become higher than my window sills. I could feel down because the odds are we still have two months of winter left or because it is -14 c and we are due for another 20cm of snow on Monday. I could be depressed because I am broke and don't even have money to get the stuff I need to make crafts during the long winter. I could be discouraged because we still don't have bedrooms and if we are lucky the kids will be upstairs by summertime. I am worried though, because I am not really down or depressed. So if I am NOT depressed, am I ok? 

None of it seems really too important. I am still so appreciative of where I am and where I live. I hear about the predictions of 'when' the world will end. Odds are when it does I am not one of the fortunate to be lifted off to heaven and I may regret that when the time comes. BUT! I know I have lived my best, done my best, met challenges, survived them, moved on, tried not to take too much time to feel sorry for myself (although I have definitely taken some time for self pity) and love the people in my life. I am not a mean person, I try to help others when I can and I am thankful for my good fortune every day. I try to teach my children right from wrong and what is important. I hope that in the end, this will all account for something, but if not, c'est la vie!

I have discovered or re-discovered talents I never knew or forgot I had. I like to bake, keep house for my family, welcome my kids home at the end of the day, sit for hours with them to do homework and overall, I am pretty good with my life. I have a man that I love and he loves me. I have kids that are good, albeit manic and hormonal, but that's normal right? I have wonderful friends, even at a distance and when I go to bed at night I let out a big, pleased sigh and tuck right in.

My wish for others is to: find something, somewhere or someone you like. Make that be the best it can be for you. Don't keep searching for things to get better, just make them better. I am learning to live with less and as long as I have food, shelter, clothing and can get the kids to school all is well. I will know on Tuesday if my business plan goes through, which I would like! If it doesn't, I shall proceed anyway, just with less money. The money is nice and will allow us to finish rooms and build that chicken coop, get birds and maybe a small barn for some dairy goats. If the money does not come, then we will still do it, but slower and with more caution. Either way, life is good, the winter shall end in 8 weeks or so (I just made a Freudian slip, I typed "in 8 weeks or snow" instead of so! It may be might fault now if winter takes longer!)

I seriously want to write something important and I have been playing with writing for the past year to determine how to go forward and what to write. I have a few ideas and I keep rolling them around in my mind. If you think I should go for it, let me know! If not, well, who cares? Ha  ha! Just kidding! I really do appreciate any and all feedback.

Now, for today, I couldn't get to the store or have money to buy a gift, so I created one. I made a book, semi-scrapbooked it, for an 11 year old girl. I gave her ideas on how to be a happy teen, including helpful websites and information on inner beauty as well as some home grown tips on outer beauty! Did you know that a ripe tomato, sliced up, placed all over your face, (avoiding the eyes and mouth) will help remove black heads and add some colour and freshness to it? Wow, eh? Seem I am even learning how to make organic, home grown gifts! (Kind of proud of that actually!) Problem is, we have a party for a ten year old boy tomorrow and I think he would rather eat the tomato than sit with it on his face... Have to come up with something else for him! Ideas?

Time to make lunch, then layer on the heavy winter clothing. We are off to have a sliding/skidoo party outside for a few hours and then roast marshmallows over the fire and have hot chocolate. Yes it is cold, yes there is snow... We may as well make the most of it! Perhaps Jessica and I will build an igloo and post pictures soon!

As the great Sheryl Crowe says: " It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got" I think that is a good reminder for us all. I have highlighted a few favourite parts of the song, so ENJOY! So although this is a fun song with a good beat, it has an awesome message! See you soon Friends and Fans!


"Soak Up The Sun"

My friend the communist
Holds meetings in his RV
I can't afford his gas
So I'm stuck here watching TV
I don't have digital
I don't have diddly squat
It's not having what you want
It's wanting what you've got


[CHORUS:]
I'm gonna soak up the sun
Gonna tell everyone
To lighten up (I'm gonna tell 'em that)
I've got no one to blame
For every time I feel lame
I'm looking up o I'm gonna soak up the sun

I'm gonna soak up the sun
I've got a crummy job
It don't pay near enough
To buy the things it takes
To win me some of your love
Every time I turn around
I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you
That makes you act the way you do
Maybe i am crazy too


[CHORUS]

I'm gonna soak up the sun
While it's still free

I'm gonna soak up the sun
Before it goes out on me
Don't have no master suite
I'm still the king of me
You have a fancy ride, but baby
I'm the one who has the key
Every time I turn around
I'm looking up, you're looking down
Maybe something's wrong with you
That makes you act the way you do
Maybe I am crazy too

[CHORUS]

I'm gonna soak up the sun
Got my 45 on
So I can rock on. 


No comments: